May 23, 2013, 8:05 PM EDT
With the Phillies enjoying an off day in Washington, DC before kicking off a weekend set with the Nationals on Friday, second baseman Chase Utley was in Philadelphia today getting an MRI done to diagnose his right side/rib area.
The team said on Thursday evening that Utley has suffered a Grade 1 oblique strain and will hit the 15-day disabled list.
The full statement from the Phillies:
2B Chase Utley has been diagnosed with a very mild grade 1 oblique strain. There is no intercostal injury or rib cage injury. Utley is being placed on the 15-day DL. A corresponding roster move will be made to replace him on the 25-man roster.
From GM Ruben Amaro Jr: “The recovery for this type of injury should take between 2-4 weeks. We do believe and hope that Chase will be ready to play in Philadelphia within 15 days. We are being cautious with this injury as it is a tricky one and want to make sure it isn’t an issue for him throughout the season.”
Chase first noticed the injury earlier in the week in Miami while taking just a few swings during batting practice.
“I’ve talked to a few guys on this team who have had it. Some guys I played with in the past had it. The main thing they said was, ‘Don’t rush back,’ ” Utley said. “That’s when you can make it worse and prolong the time you’re out.”
So don’t expect him to be rushing back anytime soon.
|BenE. on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|MikeD on The Secret Service once threat…|
|Jason R. on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|your a fool on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money