Aug 24, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT
The bases are loaded in the bottom of the ninth when Chase Utley steps to the plate. The 11-year veteran works a full count against Eury De La Rosa as a lively crowd of 32,619 anticipates the pay-off pitch is on its way. It’s a dream scenario for the batter.
Utley just stands there and watches. His knees buckle ever so slightly at the sight of De La Rosa’s hook as it passes. There’s a moment where every man, woman, and child at Citizens Bank Park holds their breath – everyone except Utley.
Ball four. The Phillies defeat the Diamondbacks 4-3.
No, it’s not the most exciting finish in baseball, although you wouldn’t know it by Cody Asche’s face as the rookie crossed home to score the game-winning run. After all, it was the 23-year-old’s pinch-hit single that got the Phils’ rally started, helping a club that seemed completely rudderless only a week ago pick up its third consecutive walk-off victory, fourth in the last six days.
And if you’ve been on the internet long enough, you know what a walk-off walk means. #shrimp
If you do have any questions about the above video, this is a good place to start.
Quick game summary: Domonic Brown lost a fly ball in the twilight during the fourth inning, aiding Arizona as they jumped out to a 3-1 lead on Cole Hamels. Cole was able to keep his composure though and make it through seven strong, while battery mate Carlos Ruiz evened things up in the sixth with a two-run double. B.J. Rosenberg and Jonathan Papelbon managed to keep the score tied, setting up the seemingly inevitable ninth.
Darin Ruf also homered in the second frame. The solo blast gives him 10 for the year, seven in the month of August alone.
In addition to all the comeback/walk-offs of late, the Fightins have won five of their last six overall. We don’t want to make too much of it with the season well out of hand, yet it’s worth pointing out that this has been the best week of baseball the Phillies have played in over a month, perhaps longer. Draw your own conclusions… but obviously it was the retro uniforms on Friday.
>> BOX SCORE [MLB]
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return