Aug 6, 2013, 5:10 PM EST
Good news – well, maybe just news: Domonic Brown has been activated and returns to the Phillies’ lineup on Tuesday night for the first time sustaining a concussion on July 23. Due to Dom’s return, Darin Ruf’s reign of terror in left field will now end.
Ruf’s reign of terror in right field on the other hand, that is only just beginning.
The converted first baseman will make his first professional appearance ever in right when the Phils host the Cubs at Citizens Bank Park. Your read that correctly. Ruf has never played right in the minors, not during spring training, and certainly not in the big leagues. Oh, yeah, this can’t possibly go wrong.
For the 27-year-old’s part, he apparently thought Juan Samuel was kidding when the first base coach broke the news.
Juan Samuel told Darin Ruf he was playing RF. “I thought he was joking,” Ruf said. “I’m not joking,” Samuel said.
— Matt Gelb (@magelb) August 6, 2013
It is a joke, Darin – a cruel joke on Phillies fans. Ruf’s struggles with learning to play outfield have been well documented, and it would seem moving him around out there can’t help matters.
To call it a curious decision by Charlie Manuel would be an understatement. Brown can play right as well, so why the manager wouldn’t put the more seasoned player out there, I don’t know. Maybe he’ll elaborate later.
|BenE. on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Mick on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|mike on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Z on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages