Jun 1, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
Hey, know who we like talking about? Domonic Brown. Because even when the Phillies lose to a lousy team like the Brewers, that guy gives us a reason to watch, belting two more home runs to bump his total to 12 for the month of May.
Know who else has hit at least 12 home runs in a single month at 25-years-old or younger in the last 20 seasons? You should. It’s a pretty good list.
Corey Seidman Tweeted this out on Friday shortly after Dom hit his seventh bomb in seven days. Needless to say, it caught our attention.
25 or younger w/ 12-HR month last 20 yrs: Griffey, A-Rod, Vlad, Dunn, Pujols, Beltre, Tex, Prince, Tulo, Bruce, Stanton, J. Upton & DomBrown
— Corey Seidman (@CoreySeidman) June 1, 2013
What do all of those players have in common (besides the obvious hitting 12 HR in a month at or under the age of 25)? Two things. First of all, they’ve all been named All Stars, something Brown is going to be a lock for if his production keeps up anywhere near this pace.
Second, they’re pretty much all power hitters. The guys who have done this continued to be among the league leaders in home runs for many years. In other words, if he is like all of these guys – and he’s being bunched in with them here – this fireworks display has been anything but a fluke.
This is just how Dom Brown rolls.
Brown may have completed the month of May without drawing a single walk, but he batted .303, slugged .688, and had an impressive .991 OPS. And the Phillies may have dropped to three games below .500, but thanks to some Domonation, they haven’t completely lost us yet.
Of course, if they can’t get something going on this stretch, they might. After all, Brown is due to slump eventually.
|t800m101 on Getting to know the enemy: Fou…|
|Bob on Getting to know the enemy: Fou…|
|Marvin Monroe on Getting to know the enemy: Fou…|
|psudrozz on Getting to know the enemy: Fou…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money