Oct 26, 2013, 3:49 PM EST
Whatever your criticisms are of Evan Turner–and there are those to be had if you’re looking, surely–you couldn’t really ever say that he doesn’t give a crap. He tries too hard sometimes, he tries in the wrong direction others, but he tries, and it wouldn’t be fair to say that he’s been coasting to earn a paycheck, with eyes on the back door to slip out when the time comes.
To Evan’s great irritation, however, some have interpreted recent comments to mean that he’s saying that about himself. “I’m going to get money regardless” was the pull quote from a recent ET media scrum where he was asked about the possibility of receiving an extension from the Sixers. The context was that Evan was saying that he’s not worried about getting the extension, and he would rather focus on his teammates and playing well and all the other things that a nice young Baller is supposed to focus on.
Funny quote, but not really a damning one–Evan’s right that someone’s going to pay him in the off-season, and he’s doubly right to not expect it to be the Sixers who do, especially a year before they have to. Looks like some people took it to mean that his priorities are not quite where they should be, as the Extraterrestrial took to Instagram to clarify his misunderstood intentions:
“The same sword they knight you, they gone good night you wit…” I usually dont care what is written about me or what people think but in this case I do. I know you’ll never win a fight with the media but ill fight any day when my character and intentions are misunderstood.This headline doesnt describe me as a person or who I am. Basketball is my passion, I dont play to get a paycheck. I play cause I love the game. I think its unreal and a blessing to be able to make money doing something you love to do and thats what I am doing. The headline above was intended to take the attention off me and keep it on my team. Im truly not worried about a matter that will be dealt with when the time comes. Im worried about the team atmosphere and getting better everyday, as I should be…hope to see everyone at the home opener
Yeah. We’re not mad at you, Evan–gotta say something to these media folk besides “Is it May yet?” and it’s just about impossible to go an entire pre-season without saying something easily misconstrued. You stay quoting Jay Z and putting up shots and you’ll be getting five years / $40 million from Minnesota before you even know it.
|jpeezo on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|Matt S. on Eagles officially the hottest…|
|SadKumquat on Peter King: Eagles ‘the disapp…|
|JMRA on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages