Aug 23, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
With all the attention that’s placed on the salary cap, people can sometimes forget there’s also a salary floor. It’s not often we see that come in to play – spending too little is one problem the Flyers will never encounter – but after trading Jrue Holiday for draft picks and making no attempt to sign any free agents, the 76ers are way under.
According to ProBasketballTalk, the acquisition of Tony Wroten brings the Sixers to about $10 million below the NBA’s floor. Given that the franchise is not interested in adding any big contracts, and there are no remaining free agents worth awarding that amount of money in the first place, it’s difficult to see how Sam Hinkie is going to get there without some wheeling and dealing.
Which begs the question: what happens if the Sixers don’t get above the minimum?
The short answer is nothing.
Nothing happens to the Sixers. They are going to take that $10 million figure or whatever it happens to be once the season starts, and they’re going to write a check to the NBA.
With the addition of Tony Wroten, the Sixers have 11 guaranteed contracts (if you count first round picks) totaling $42.8 million — new Sixers GM Sam Hinkie needs to add $10 million in salary by the end of the season to make the minimum. (Salary figures via Sham Sports and Hoopsworld.) If they don’t make the number the penalty is… just having to pay what they are short to the league. So, nothing really.
The important thing here is there is no real penalty if the Sixers don’t reach the floor. A franchise can be as terrible as they want as long as they are willing to foot the bill.
|Captain_Awesome on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|Joseph on Eagles officially the hottest…|
|Dominic on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|SteveBrown on Photo Gallery and Tweets: Linc…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages