Oct 15, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
Not a lot of people came out to the WFC on Monday night to watch the Sixers get shredded by the Brooklyn Nets in the Ballers’ fourth game of the pre-season. Coach Brett Brown referred to the game as a “reality check,” and though he was probably more talking about the 127-97 final score, he could have also been taking about the crowd of about 1500 fans in attendance, a number not likely to swell tremendously for some of the Sixers’ home games this regular season.
Evan Turner, the Sixers’ best offensive player last night (23 points on 8-16 shooting, five boards, four assists) and second longest-tenured veteran, was unfazed by the underwhelming turnout. The way he sees it, the Sixers have something to prove before they can expect much in the way of fan response. Quoth the Villain:
I kind of already expected that…You gotta give fans a reason to come out. If you build it, they will come.
Well, the 76ers turning into a winning basketball team this season would be only slightly less improbable an outcome than a corn field in Iowa turning into a baseball diamond for the ghosts of the 1919 White Sox, so I guess you can call him Evan Kinsella on this one. And like Field of Dreams, it’s also a safe bet that this Sixers season is going to have the power to make grown men cry. And that James Earl Jones will be involved somehow. DON’T QUESTION IT.
In any event, if Turner keeps playing like he has in the pre-season, it probably won’t be long before GM Sam Hinkie gives in to the “Ease his pain” whispers and flips ET to the Pacers for a draft pick and an expiring.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money