Jul 14, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT
We’re sorry to inform you, Michael Young, that your Chevrolet Player of the Game honors for 07/13/2013 have been repossessed, and hereby awarded to Jimmy Rollins for his amazing sell-out, head-first slide into home on the game-winning play in the 13th inning of the second half of a LONGGGG double header that ended sometime the next day.
Sure, Young came up with the base hit to score Rollins from second, but this sure was a great piece of base running. J-Roll is on his horse the moment the ball comes off the bat, and even then, not just anybody scores on this play. It took a savvy dive from the back end of the dish to elude White Sox catcher Casper Wells’ tag – one where the runner pays the price at that.
Rollins appears to go face-first into the dirt, although he didn’t mind it the least once he sees home-plate umpire Fieldin Culbreth’s safe call. Is this enough hustle for the haters?
The Phillies won 2-1, redeeming themselves somewhat after a crushing extra-innings loss in Game 1 to a last-place Chicago club – and finally putting an end to a 10-hour baseball marathon at Citizens Bank Park, where both games incredibly went exactly three hours and 53 minutes. Weird. One last look (via US Presswire)…
>> BOX SCORE [MLB.com]
|brandonphilly on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|CD on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|NBA lottery is rigge… on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|J on CEO Scott O’Neil promise…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money