Jul 3, 2013, 10:33 AM EST
The Philadelphia Phillies put an end to the red-hot Pittsburgh Pirates’ nine-game winning streak on Tuesday night thanks in large part to the bases-loaded jam Justin DeFratus got the Phillies out of in the eighth inning. Charlie Manuel made the always debatable move of opting for the young DeFratus over his really expensive, potentially illiterate closer Jonathan Papelbon.
DeFratus has had his share of struggles lately as CSN’s Reuben Frank wrote about following the game.
It was DeFratus who took the loss on the Phils’ first three losses on their West Coast swing. He faced 15 batters in those three games, allowing 11 of them to reach base and four of them to score.
He only got four outs.
“When you failed before and you’ve felt that feeling, there’s nothing to be afraid of anymore, you know what I mean?” DeFratus said.
“It’s unfortunate that you do have to fail to learn that lesson, but I didn’t die. So there’s nothing to be worried about out there. You just go out there and throw the ball over the plate as hard as you can and let’s go.”
And we’re glad he didn’t die.
Aside from Delmon Young totally botching a routine flyball and John Mayberry Jr. getting picked off of second base at one point, the Phillies actually played a pretty good game to beat a pretty good baseball team.
Jonathan Pettibone was fantastic and worked through a very challenging third inning after Delmo’s mistake. He allowed only three hits, one of them a solo shot, in 5.2 innings of work.
Also, there was a hose sighting. I could watch this over and over.
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Chutley on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return