Oct 30, 2013, 6:34 PM EST
Poor, poor Michael Carter-Williams. It was already gonna be a struggle for him in his NBA debut–the 22-year-old rookie has game, we think, but it’s gonna take a minute for it to translate on this level–but premiering against the Miami Heat, he might try to re-declare for his senior season at Syracuse before the night’s over. The blitzing perimeter D of Mario Chalmers and Norris Cole (and the hard-trapping help D from their forwards and bigs) brought Linsanity to an end, and ruined Derrick Rose’s first game back from ACL surgery last night in Miami, holding the former MVP to just 12 points on 4-15 shooting. Against MCW…there will be tears, for sure.
Of course, that’s not to say that the rest of the Sixers’ lineup will have it that much easier–Evan Turner has had some nice games against the Heat (including his own debut game, on opening night three seasons ago), but the Liberty Ballers have still won just one of their last 20 against the Heat, and even that one took a miracle three from Lou Williams–you remember the one.
No, the Sixers are not gonna have an easy one tonight, though they will be getting a couple breaks in this one–not only are the Heat on the second to night of a back-to-back after an emotional, hard-fought season opener against Chicago, but they’ll be without All-NBA guard Dwyane Wade–though really, all that means is that the Heat will be able to spread the floor better with Ray Allen or James Jones in his stead and let LeBron really pick the Sixers apart. One or two breaks isn’t nearly enough to make up the gap in quality between these two teams.
All we can really hope for tonight is for early contention and late survival. If the Sixers can at least keep it close for a quarter or two, get nice performances from Evan and Thaddeus Young, and get MCW the hell out of there before the scarring becomes permanent, then that’ll have to count as the moral victory for the evening. Not much, but ti’s all we’re gonna have for at least our first couple games and possibly a lot longer, so get used to it.
Adding insult to injury (and more insult) tonight is that in Cleveland, it appears that our old friend Andrew Bynum will be bucking the odds and actually playing in the Cavs’ season opener (supposedly). Bynum has been cleared for game action, though he will not start, and nobody really has much of a clue what he’ll look like out on the court. While I don’t necessarily wish eternal misery upon the Bynum household, I’m not gonna deny that I’ma be a little salty if he just straight up plays for this Cleveland team and, like, doesn’t miss pretty much the entire season for no real reason. Harumph.
Whatever. We have Sixers basketball, real (mostly) professional basketball, and that’s enough excitement in itself for me tonight. Get ready for the big ride tonight, guys, and if you are not sufficiently pumped, get yourself there with our 2013-14 Sixers Official Spotify Playlist. Go Ballers.
|Marvin Monroe on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|somekat on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|t800m101 on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages