Aug 7, 2013, 11:41 AM EST
The Phillies finally found a team they could beat on Tuesday night at Citizens Bank Park.
Thanks, Chicago Cubs.
It was a fairly entertaining albeit ugly game too. Darin Ruf attempted and failed to leg out a triple but later smashed a homer to make up for it which was fun for the South Philadelphia faithful. Chase Utley was a few steps away from attempting the uber exciting inside-the-park home run but there were no outs so Ryne Sandberg wisely held him up. Chooch even bashed an ever-elusive home run.
But the Phillies did not make it easy on themselves. They carried a fairly comfortable 4 run lead into the ninth inning when they brought in expensive closer Jonathan Papelbon to get the game over with.
Papelbon proceeded to give up a pair of hits before striking out two and seemingly putting the game on ice. Then Nate Schierholtz continued his revenge and Dom Brown muffed a fly ball and the Cubs had the tying run in scoring position just like that.
Throughout all of this ugly ninth inning the CBP crowd was letting Papelbon hear it. Boos were flowing freely and I swear some people in my section were openly rooting for the guy to blow the game just so they could hate him even more.
So my question is this: Do Phillies fans dislike Papelbon so much because he’s getting paid so lucratively and performing so mediocre? Or do they dislike him so much because of his choice of words?
Either way, it was a bizarre scene watching the Phillies get a tight victory on Tuesday night and seeing some fans leave almost disappointed in the result.
|drupalgardens.com on Report: Phils talking to Toron…|
|Negativo on Comment of the week sponsored…|
|solidsender on Comment of the week sponsored…|
|Sarah Baine on Terrell Owens Is Bowling, but…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages