Jul 29, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT
The good news is the Phillies won’t lose today. The bad news is the Phillies stink.
If you weren’t paying attention over the weekend — and really, we hope you weren’t — the Phillies continued their downward spiral into irrelevance by getting swept at the hands of the Detroit Tigers and as a bonus shin-kick they capped it off in pathetically ugly fashion.
Their losing streak stands at 8 games, the Phils sit 11 games out in the East and 9.5 out in the wild card. The trade deadline is two days away. It may not have officially sunk, but the ship has taken water and there’s not enough life boats on board for everyone.
Let’s see what the guys have to say about the latest laughable loss.
“I definitely didn’t come here for this,” the Phillies’ closer told MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki.
“No, I would like to stay here. But if I’m going to have to put up with this year after year, then no, I don’t want to be here. Why would you? Why would anybody?”
He has a point for once.
“If there’s a bottom, this has to be it,” said Jimmy Rollins. “I can’t imagine things getting worse than they have this past week, culminating the way they did today.”
Don’t be so sure.
Embarrassing? Ugly? Frightful? Go ahead and pick an adjective. Manager Charlie Manuel has a few of his own.
“When we play that bad, yeah, I’m upset. In some ways it’s embarrassing to me,” Manuel said. “We come to the ballpark every day to play and to play right and win the game. When we don’t play right and we play bad — very bad — it bothers me.”
I don’t really know what to add at this point. Zoo with Roy pretty much nailed it.
Phillies on way to 1-8 trip. Would be worst road trip of 9 or more games since July 28-Aug. 6, 1995, when they went 1-8 vs. CHI, ATL, CIN.
— Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) July 28, 2013
|Marvin Monroe on Interesting theory on Jake Vor…|
|FlyersFan on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|RightMeow on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|twpguy1964 on Andrew MacDonald’s contract pa…|
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money