Aug 7, 2013, 10:46 AM EST
The Phillies have had a miserable 2013. There’s no denying that.
One of the lone moments of optimism occurred a couple of weeks back when word broke that the franchise had won the bidding war for Cuban pitcher Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez. Well, now that move may have even gone sour. Ugh.
MLB.com Phillies beat writer Todd Zolecki wrote last night that negotiations between the Phillies and the Cuban hurler have hit a snag and that a deal may not ever happen.
Since the agreement late last month numerous reports have mentioned scouts with questions about Gonzalez’s elbow. He had bone spurs removed from his elbow sometime within the past two years, although it has been written he had made a full recovery.
No official word from the team on anything about this situation, obviously, but this would simply be the latest bummer in a season full of them. Or perhaps it could be viewed as a positive for the organization in terms of not tying up $50 million in a player with less than a 100% clean bill of health.
USA Today Sports photo is not of Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez
|t800m101 on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|G_E on GIF: Jason Kelce’s beard…|
|G_E on Photo Gallery and Tweets: Linc…|
|mickthedick on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages