Oct 11, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
Over the summer the Phillies reportedly made a huge $40+ million offer to Cuban pitcher Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez and seemingly won the bidding war. That was a bit uncharacteristic of the organization as we’ve come to know them. Then after those initial first reports, we didn’t hear anything for a few weeks. Finally, the team announced they did in fact sign the 27-year-old right-hander to a much more team friendly deal in the $12 million range.
Even after the team signed him we didn’t hear much more about it. Many wondered if the Phils were actually in a playoff hunt last season if we’d see him make his Philadelphia debut.
Alas, due to a number of issues, Gonzalez hadn’t pitched regularly in quite some time and has needed to start a pitching program from scratch so to speak.
He’s been down in Clearwater for a while now working with the Phillies staff and CSNPhilly.com Phillies scribe Jim Salisbury finally made the trip down this week to talk with one of the big hopes for the 2014 Phils’ staff.
I highly suggest clicking over and reading Sully’s entire column on the guy he says has a “classic pitcher’s body,” but this one nugget was what I chose to highlight:
“I have several pitches,” he said. “Fastball, curveball, changeup, cutter, splitter.”
That’s more than several.
Phillies director of player development Joe Jordan says Miguel should be in good form and ready to compete for a role on the Phillies staff come February. He’ll certainly be one of the most watched storylines of spring.
|psudrozz on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money