Oct 11, 2013, 11:24 AM EST
Over the summer the Phillies reportedly made a huge $40+ million offer to Cuban pitcher Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez and seemingly won the bidding war. That was a bit uncharacteristic of the organization as we’ve come to know them. Then after those initial first reports, we didn’t hear anything for a few weeks. Finally, the team announced they did in fact sign the 27-year-old right-hander to a much more team friendly deal in the $12 million range.
Even after the team signed him we didn’t hear much more about it. Many wondered if the Phils were actually in a playoff hunt last season if we’d see him make his Philadelphia debut.
Alas, due to a number of issues, Gonzalez hadn’t pitched regularly in quite some time and has needed to start a pitching program from scratch so to speak.
He’s been down in Clearwater for a while now working with the Phillies staff and CSNPhilly.com Phillies scribe Jim Salisbury finally made the trip down this week to talk with one of the big hopes for the 2014 Phils’ staff.
I highly suggest clicking over and reading Sully’s entire column on the guy he says has a “classic pitcher’s body,” but this one nugget was what I chose to highlight:
“I have several pitches,” he said. “Fastball, curveball, changeup, cutter, splitter.”
That’s more than several.
Phillies director of player development Joe Jordan says Miguel should be in good form and ready to compete for a role on the Phillies staff come February. He’ll certainly be one of the most watched storylines of spring.
|Matt S. on Eagles officially the hottest…|
|SadKumquat on Peter King: Eagles ‘the disapp…|
|JMRA on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|AJockStrapFeely on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages