Phillies Selected the Best Shortstop in the Draft Who Was Also Wearing a Purple Bow Tie and Vest Combination
Jun 7, 2013, 7:45 AM EST
With the 16th pick in the MLB Draft on Thursday night the Philadelphia Phillies selected J.P. Crawford out of Lakewood, California. He’s touted as the best shortstop in the draft and if his development progresses quickly enough he could be Jimmy Rollins’ replacement in a few years (assistant GM Marti Woliver guesses three or four).
J.P., cousin of L.A. Dodger Carl Crawford, was asked about joining a team with such a great shortstop as J-Roll.
“It means a lot, specially coming from Jimmy Rollins down to me. Hopefully I can learn something from him and take his place,” Crawford said.
I think what he meant was:
“It means a lot. Hopefully I can learn a lot from him and follow in his footsteps as a great Phillies shortstop.”
CSN’s John Finger has more on Crawford and his relationship with the Phillies first pick last year Shane Watson. The two have been friends their entire lives.
And here’s Woliver’s scouting report on him:
“Physically he has to fill out a little bit and grow into his body a little more,” Wolever said. “Down the road we see him as a guy who can hit .280 or .290 in the middle of the infield with a chance to steal some bases. He has a tremendous instinct for the game, which for a young guy allows him to do some things that others can’t do at this point in time. We think he could project to 10 or 15 home runs depending on how strong he gets.”
And as for that bowtie and vest combo that looks like it came straight off the rack at Iacobucci Formal Wear? Hopefully he’ll be an MLB All-Star half a decade from now and we can all look back on it and laugh.
|Danimal on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|db21 on Connor Barwin says Eagles used…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages