Aug 30, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
Is it safe? Do we have confirmation? Okay, because the last time there was a report of the Phillies signing Cuban pitcher Miguel Alfredo Gonzalzez, like two weeks later we found out, uh, that never happened.
Apparently it’s a done deal now though, only the Phils won’t be locked into a six-year contract worth $48 million for a complete unknown like we were told back in July – yes, over a full month has gone by since this story broke. The actual finished deal comes in at a far more modest three years, $12 million, with a vesting/club option for 2017. There are signing and performance bonuses as well, which we’ll have to wait to learn what those entail.
Fightins GM Ruben Amaro Jr. released a statement, he even talked about it during Friday’s broadcast, so that must mean the signing is official. Here’s a reminder from Jeff Passan’s original report for Yahoo! as to what the organization believes (hopes?) they’re getting with the 26-year-old right-hander:
With a fastball that sits around 93 mph and recently topped out at 96, a split-fingered fastball and changeup that serve as his off-speed pitches, a cut fastball and a slow curve ball, Gonzalez’s varying array impressed scouts and executives who flocked to Tijuana to watch him pitch in workout showcases and games. During a handful of starts in the low-level Liga del Norte, talent evaluators saw the 6-foot-2, 185-pound Gonzalez as a mid-rotation piece who could contribute immediately, a factor that no doubt motivated Philadelphia.
It was exciting to learn the Phillies were willing to jump in the international market with a big-money deal, but at 6-for-48 it was also scary. 3-for-12 seems like a lot less of a gamble for a franchise that’s shown it’s willing to spend upwards of $170 million on payroll. Who knows whether the aggressive move will pay off in Gonzalez, but if nothing else the Phillies wound up getting a better deal.
>> Finally, Gonzalez Signs with Phillies [Zo Zone]
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money