Aug 30, 2013, 4:27 PM EST
Is it safe? Do we have confirmation? Okay, because the last time there was a report of the Phillies signing Cuban pitcher Miguel Alfredo Gonzalzez, like two weeks later we found out, uh, that never happened.
Apparently it’s a done deal now though, only the Phils won’t be locked into a six-year contract worth $48 million for a complete unknown like we were told back in July – yes, over a full month has gone by since this story broke. The actual finished deal comes in at a far more modest three years, $12 million, with a vesting/club option for 2017. There are signing and performance bonuses as well, which we’ll have to wait to learn what those entail.
Fightins GM Ruben Amaro Jr. released a statement, he even talked about it during Friday’s broadcast, so that must mean the signing is official. Here’s a reminder from Jeff Passan’s original report for Yahoo! as to what the organization believes (hopes?) they’re getting with the 26-year-old right-hander:
With a fastball that sits around 93 mph and recently topped out at 96, a split-fingered fastball and changeup that serve as his off-speed pitches, a cut fastball and a slow curve ball, Gonzalez’s varying array impressed scouts and executives who flocked to Tijuana to watch him pitch in workout showcases and games. During a handful of starts in the low-level Liga del Norte, talent evaluators saw the 6-foot-2, 185-pound Gonzalez as a mid-rotation piece who could contribute immediately, a factor that no doubt motivated Philadelphia.
It was exciting to learn the Phillies were willing to jump in the international market with a big-money deal, but at 6-for-48 it was also scary. 3-for-12 seems like a lot less of a gamble for a franchise that’s shown it’s willing to spend upwards of $170 million on payroll. Who knows whether the aggressive move will pay off in Gonzalez, but if nothing else the Phillies wound up getting a better deal.
>> Finally, Gonzalez Signs with Phillies [Zo Zone]
|Chris on Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Dom Br…|
|trishb on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|charlie d on Jonathan Papelbon’s ugly…|
|sfsu on Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Dom Br…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages