Photo: This Shot of Charlie Manuel Leaving Citizens Bank Park is Really Sad

Aug 16, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT

source:  Charlie Manuel walks out of the stadium after being fired as manager of the Philadelphia Phillies before a baseball game against the Los Angeles Dodgers, Friday, Aug. 16, 2013, in Philadelphia. Manuel, the winningest manager in franchise history, was replaced by Hall of Famer and former Chicago Cubs second baseman Ryne Sandberg, the Phillies’ third-base coach. Sandberg takes over beginning with Friday night’s game against the NL West-leading Dodgers. (AP Photo/Chris Szagola)

[h/t Tannenwald]

Related: Charlie Manuel

1. Ali - Aug 16, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Who is cutting onions in my office?

• ruben - Aug 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM

The only thing missing is the knife in his back…

• aswift5648 - Aug 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I gotta admit to getting a little choked up at seeing this photo.

2. Liz - Aug 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM

So sad! But things work out for the best! Maybe he will get a great job in a great city and win a World Series with them #justice

• Cut me a break - Aug 16, 2013 at 6:48 PM

– Said nobody ever.

3. Dan - Aug 16, 2013 at 6:26 PM

So sad it was him and not the true failure, Ruben Amaro!!!

4. Kim cote - Aug 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Not ok Phillies.

5. Janet Pinkerton - Aug 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM

The body language says it all. CRAP, this is a sucky way to treat a championship manager. Disheartening.

• phillyfoodtruckgirl - Aug 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Why couldn’t they just wait til the end of the season? Not like the Phils are gonna come back under a new manager. Amaro is the idiot that needs to go. Charlie worked with what he had and didn’t always do it perfectly but his players loved him and he was a part of one of the best eras of baseball in Philly. Show the man a little more respect than that, you ungrateful owners/GM.

6. Tracy - Aug 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM

this is a sad photo . I will always love Charlie and what he brought to our city

7. kelly - Aug 16, 2013 at 7:20 PM

1 world series win in like 30 years, one game win per season since the beginning of time. something new needs to happen i have to poop and thats more interesting like what, do you guys expect from a sh*t team of illuminated fourth dimensional service to self

8. NickyPizzas - Aug 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Listening to Joe DeCamara on The Fanatic, said it best. To the effect of, “he turned around a disheveled and an organization used to losing, gave us 9 years, 5 division champs, and a World Series win. He brought people to the park and sold out 270+ games. There was pretty much no better place to be in sports than CBP for a Phils game from 2007-2011. Arguably the best Philly sports coach in the modern era. There is nothing The Phils are going to accomplish in the 42 remaining games. Why not have a joint press conference, announce you aren’t renewing his contract, but you are allowing him to finish out the year as the manager and coach? Name Sandberg the next coach after the season? This way he can have a little “fairwell tour,” yuck it up with the players, you know the fans will come to the park, if not sell out or close to sell out the remaining games to see Uncle Cholly and send him off, the players can send him off, and give Charlie a chance to tip his cap, and show him the respect he deserves. This crap that “we want to see what Sandberg can do” is a load of B.S.”

I COULD NOT agree any more.

• chunk - Aug 16, 2013 at 7:39 PM

exactly nicky

• tracy - Aug 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM

AGREE 100%. I will miss Charlie and we all deserved better than this as his exit from the Phillies.

• charlie - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:25 PM

He, as much as anyone else, brought us respectability and a World Series championship. If I have the funds, the jersey I next wear to CBP will have his name & number on it (although I’ll cheer for Mr. Sandberg to win each & every game I attend.)

• Steve Browne - Aug 17, 2013 at 6:22 AM

I agree with you 100%, That was a totally classless act on the part of the Phillies. How can you treat a manager who had just won his 1000TH Major League game like that. Didn’t even give the fans a chance to send him off with a proper farewell. I’m totally disappointed in this franchise and if they think Ryne Sandburg is the answer just check out how many people he got thrown out at home plate this year. And how many people were picked off of 2nd base this year. If he can’t handle those duties what makes you think he can run an entire club?

• F_I_J - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM

One simple reason: Its a business not a high school. He failed, along with RAJ, and the time to replace him is now. Same reason why they brought up Asche instead of letting Young finish the season at 3B, or D Young in RF. As soon as you decide you make the move to allow the new guy to get experience and you to see what he can really do

• malonezo - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM

So when the team does bad it’s the GM’s fault, but when the team does well it was because of Charlie? Let’s give some credit to Wade and Gillick here.

9. That Boy A.B. - Aug 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Reblogged this on That Boy A.B. and commented:
    This is why we love sports. The emotional connection we have to this picture is only something a true Philadelphia sports fan can feel. After a season to forget, Charlie Manuel walks out of Citizens Bank Park for the last time. In sports, we love an underdog. We love a winner. Charlie built one of the scrappiest teams in baseball during his time with the Phillies. Dare I say over his tenure, the Phillies OVERACHIEVED in many aspects. They played hard for Charlie and they RESPECTED him. Sad to see him go. Trust that Philadelphia will never forget Charlie Manuel and everything he brought to the organization, and I know I speak for everyone when I say, simply, “Thank You.”

10. themajor - Aug 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM

so what’s in the bag?

11. Phyllis - Aug 16, 2013 at 8:55 PM

It’s a Wawa bag. Hope it’s not tonight’s supper. He deserves lobster and steak for dinner! Thank you Charley. We love you!!

12. Carole - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Awww. This makes me feel really sad. I love Charlie. Down home, down to earth, and a downright good guy. Best wishes. All the best for your future.

13. Dave - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Bring Charlie back Fire Ruben , he’s the one who did no trades!!!

14. Totes McGotes - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Lame Ruben, flat out lame.

15. Jackie - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:29 PM

So sad.

16. phillyreese215 - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:43 PM

is he carrying out crab fries????

17. kirk - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:49 PM

thank you for the heart cholly. we’ll always have 08!!!

18. Rita - Aug 16, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Rueban should of had more class to let Charlie go at the end of the season when his contracted ended. Charlie did not let the team down, he can’t help that his players got hurt or the players did not come to play this year. Charlie believed in his team and never turned his back on them. On the other hand, Ruben should resign as he totally let Philly down as the worst GM! Maybe Charlie should take his job an kick him to the curb!! Xoxo Charlie

19. 10/2/14cantgetheresoonenough - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Reid got to finish the season and never brought a parade. What a joke

20. ThankYouCharlie - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:30 AM

One of the saddest photos in Philly sports history. ^ “10/2/14…” said it best, at least Reid got to finish the season. Kicking him out with 42 pointless games left was a deep stab in the back.

He didn’t fail us, the team completely failed him! And 1000 wins, hours later ‘thanks, you’re fired.’ it sickens me.

If he is ever offered some kind of position in the Phillies organization and he declines, I can’t say I blame him!
    He’ll be back managing, KC, Seattle, heck maybe our division rivals Miami perhaps.

Thank you Charlie for a great ride and a Championship, you’ll be missed!

21. Gavi - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Yeah… I think certain people managed to piss off Billy Penn. AGAIN.

22. Sisko - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:05 AM

CHARLIE!! We love you!!

Seriously, without Charlie Manuel, the last time we were winners would have been 1980.

The Eagles never won the big one (though they were contenders for a little while, all respect to Reid for a great era of Eagles football).

The Sixers have been a joke since the first time Iverson (a joke himself) departed.

Charlie got together a team that wasn’t the best team in baseball by a long shot and managed that scrappy yet respectable group of guys into the World Series. I felt the elation of my first Championship run, but I looked at my parents and grandma and saw the glorious vindication of 28 years’ worth of heartache, unmentionable words, and not-important-yet-so-very-important CRAP.

Because of Charlie Manuel, I got to run down to Frankford and Cottman with my mom when we were champions, when we were FINALLY number one. As a Philadelphian and a sports fan in general, I understand how rare those kinds of moments can really be.

Thank you, Charlie. Thank you for making us winners. Thank you for making us believe.

23. Laura - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I think this decision was flat out wrong! The players should take some responsibility for this season and not lay it all on Charlie. I will not be going to any of the next 42 games and hope that others will follow suit. So sad that they can be so mean to “family”! I am just really disappointed. Philadelphia loves you Charlie Manuel!

24. galasso2586 - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Apparently Charlie went to Maggianos by Cherry Hill Mall last night and got a standing ovation at the restaurant

25. Vahawk - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM