May 23, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
Philllippe Aumont made just four relief appearances over the past two weeks amid whispers he could be sent down to the minors. Aumont’s last two appearances didn’t help his cause, as the big righty got rocked in each, and on Wednesday it was finally reported he would report to Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
While this has been a disappointing development for the 24 year old and the Phillies’ bullpen though, Charlie Manuel was upbeat about it. Via the Inquirer’s Matt Gelb, the skipper still envisions a day when Aumont could be a vital piece late in games.
“He has all the potential in the world,” Manuel said. “One of these days, Aumont has a chance to be a big-time back-end bullpen piece. But right now he needs to pitch and get regular work in to develop his pitches.”
“We’re going to always need pitchers,” Manuel said. “He’s definitely high on our radar as a prospect.”
Aumont got off to an okay start in 2013, getting stuck with a couple of losses on unearned runs, but the wheels were bound to come off. He’s walked 10 batters in 16 appearances, and he’s only had one clean inning all season where he surrendered zero hits or freebies back on April 23. Sooner or later that had to catch up with him.
Obviously his command needs work, but that’s been the report on Aumont since he came to the organization from Seattle in the Cliff Lee trade. He’s young, and it’s hard not to like an imposing, hard-throwing righty in this mold, so you just have to hope he can tweak a few things during this minor-league stint.
Gelb believes Mike Stutes could be promoted, his first trip back to the Majors since being shut down last April with a shoulder injury. No announcement is expected until Friday.
>> Phillippe Aumont demoted; could Mike Stutes return? [Phillies Zone]
|wholesale Senior Bow… on ‘Who’s That Guy?…|
|clubberlangphila on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money