Aug 27, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
The Phillies handled the Mets on Monday night behind the strong effort from Cliff Lee on the mound and Cody Asche at the dish en route to a 2-1 victory. Asche hit a big two-run triple in the fourth inning that proved to be just enough with Lee on the hill and a bullpen that held up.
Following the game both Lee and new Philadelphia manager Ryne Sandberg spoke very highly of Asche and his chances of sticking around at third next season. Here’s Sandberg via Jim Salisbury:
“From what I’ve seen, he’s the full package down there at third base. I really like his range. He’s really come a long way (since spring training) with his glove work and his feet. And he has a true, accurate arm.”
On top of his physical tools, Asche has impressed with his intangibles. He did not get flustered when he was 1 for 17. Some young players would have.
“He doesn’t get too bothered about anything,” Sandberg said. “He shows fire. He gets mad, but in a positive way. Very mature. Gamer. Good work ethic. A lot of good characteristics.”
Again, those last descriptors certainly sound a bit like another Phillies infielder Philly fans have grown to love a little bit.
There aren’t a whole lot of positions on the Phillies roster that fans can get excited about for the future, but with every passing start for Cody Asche, third base seems to be one of them.
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money