Jul 16, 2013, 4:48 PM EST
We’ve already heard a report that the Red Sox might be interested in trade for Phillies’ third baseman Michael Young, and also that the Yankees could be a fit as well. Well if Ken Rosenthal is correct, there are a dozen or so teams that could be trying to swing a deadline deal to acquire the seven-time All-Star’s services.
In a report filed to FOXSports.com, Rosenthal described the interest in Young around the league as “intense” on Tuesday, adding the number of teams that have already contacted the Phillies has reached double digits. Here’s more:
Young, 36, is batting .288 with a .759 OPS after joining the Phillies in an offseason trade from his longtime team, the Texas Rangers. The Red Sox would play Young at third base. The Yankees, another interested team, could play him at third and first. Other clubs, sources say, would use Young at least part-time at second, which he last played in 2012 and last played regularly in ‘03.
The demand for Young is rising in part because of the shortage of quality right-handed hitters on the trade market. The Phillies, however, have no obvious internal replacement for Young, particularly if they plan to overtake the Braves in the National League East.
Aside from his right-handed bat, it’s clear Young is also attractive to buyers because of his versatility in the infield. Besides being able to play second and third, he’s also made a few appearances at first base for Philadelphia in 2013.
As for Rosenthal’s claim that the Phils have no obvious replacement for Young, that may not be entirely true. Kevin Frandsen has been an absolute treat coming off of the bench this season, and even going back to his call-up last summer. Over at The Good Phight, the argument has been made Frandsen is actually having a better season than Young at the plate.
That’s difficult to dispute, although I would be concerned about how Frandsen would hold up playing every day over the remainder of the season. His gritty style of play can be very punishing on his body. If Frandsen were to become an everyday player, it also shortens the Fightins’ bench, unless Freddy Galvis can recapture his stroke from earlier this season.
That said, if the Phillies want to give it one last shot with this core, the front office may have to get creative. Their relief pitching simply is not good enough to go deep, but most would say Ruben Amaro Jr. isn’t in a position to be moving certain or (m)any prospects at all, while there are few if any tradable commodities on the 25-man roster who have viable replacements. Moving Young might be their best chance at patching up up the bullpen for a postseason run.
Young also has a full no-trade clause, so we don’t know how that will come into play.
Of course, what happens in the less-than two weeks to follow the All-Star break could determine the Phillies’ course of action anyhow. One thing is for certain right now though, and that is Michael Young is in demand.
>> Young drawing heavy trade interest [FOX]
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return