May 10, 2013, 8:26 PM EDT
Roy Halladay hasn’t pitched up to the standards he’s set for himself. It’s a tall task living up to the Best Pitcher on Earth label and he clearly hasn’t done that the past two seasons in Philadelphia. Life happens. You get older. Injuries take their toll. But Roy Halladay wants you to know he is sorry he couldn’t be what he once was.
Halladay felt so strongly about this that he gathered the Phillies beat reporters together in Arizona on Friday evening prior to the team’s game with the Diamondbacks and addressed the fans of Philadelphia specifically. Roy felt that he needed to apologize to the fans — not to his teammates because they know and see what he goes through every day, how hard he works, etc.
But Halladay felt an obligation to the paying fans of our city.
Any real fan who follows the Phillies knows there really was no need for an apology from a guy who works as hard as Halladay does.
Sure, many of us were disappointed that his excellence seemingly wasted away over time, but can you really be angry at an athlete for breaking down? I didn’t need to hear any apology. But Doc offered one up anyway.
In related news, Doc scheduled his surgery for Wednesday, May 15th in Los Angeles performed by Dr. Neal ElAttrache.
“I’ve been thinking the last couple of days. I just felt like I should address the fans.
“I know there is a lot of mixed opinions on pitching, not pitching, all that kind of stuff. I know there are people who are disappointed about how I pitched the last two years. I know there are a lot of people who are very supportive. So, one, I just wanted to thank them for their support. And my heart goes out to all of the people who spend all of their money and go out to the games and don’t get to see what they want to see.
Your thoughts? I don’t think he needed to apologize to anyone, but the gesture is certainly appreciated. Some athletes wouldn’t take the time to let the fans know that they’re genuinely upset that they couldn’t perform at the highest level.
|Reneecel on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|willh888 on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Gregg on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money