Jun 27, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
The Sixers kept the 11th overall pick in tonight’s NBA Draft — contrary to some earlier confusion that they may have traded it — and used it on Syracuse University’s Michael Carter-Williams.
He’s a 6-foot-6-inch point guard who will step right in and fill the void left by Jrue Holiday, who was traded to New Orleans just minutes before for Nerlens Noel and a 2014 semi-protected first round pick.
Our man AU actually called it earlier in the day:
Though for reasons I can’t quite explain–maybe just my own prejudices, plus the fact that he’s one of the only guys we know for a fact the team actually worked out–I see them taking Michael Carter-Williams if he’s available. He’s talented, he’s versatile, he’s a player other teams will eventually want, and as I tried to explain yesterday, the team isn’t set enough in its current roster to worry about how the guy they take fits into their team as is
Comcast SportsNet’s Sean Kane had MCW as the 2nd best PG in the draft behind Michigan’s Trey Burke:
2. Michael Carter-Williams, 6-5/185, Syracuse
Carter-Williams will most likely be a lottery pick, but I’m not sold on his ability to excel at the NBA level. He drifts in and out of games, and his shooting numbers are atrocious. Carter-Williams shot 39 percent from the field and 29 percent from three-point range at Syracuse last season. He could have used another year of seasoning in college; he barely played as a freshman before taking over the starting point guard spot as a sophomore. There certainly are some positives with Carter-Williams – namely his size, athleticism and assist numbers. He averaged 7.3 assists and 2.8 steals last season, and he picked up his offensive game significantly during Syracuse’s run to the Final Four. His skill set calls to mind Rajon Rondo. If he even approaches Rondo’s level, he’ll be a terrific find for whichever team selects him in the Nos. 9-15 range.
Crazy times to be a Sixers fan. Sam Hinkie has made his mark in a big way.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return