Sep 24, 2013, 12:46 PM EST
click on the above images to enlarge
Good news! That eyesore of a sign between Citizens Bank Park and the lovely Philadelphia skyline is finally coming down after all of these years. Well, it’s not coming down entirely, but they are going to chop part of it off and make it a bit lower so that the skyline view will be somewhat improved.
Friend of the Level Brad Maule wrote a great post about the sign for us way back in 2007. It’s worth a quick click back to get some of the history of the sign. Remember this nugget?
The 2005 Opening Day ticket painted — or should I say photoshopped — the Phillies’ embarrassment of The Sign. The ticket design featured a photo of the skyline, for which some poor intern was probably assigned to remove The Sign from the view. Except, well, they didn’t finish the job. As you can see below, the photoshop job was left only half done, and 45,000 tickets were printed with half of The Sign.
And the Inquirer’s Matt Gelb has the lowdown on the coming changes:
The tower will remain in a different form, a team spokesperson said. It will be lowered in height — from 157 feet tall to 115 feet — and become a two-sided message board. Construction began this week.
So the sign will be lowered. But it’s not entirely gone. Which is a bummer.
|joe skal on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|BenE. on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Mick on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|mike on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages