Sep 24, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
click on the above images to enlarge
Good news! That eyesore of a sign between Citizens Bank Park and the lovely Philadelphia skyline is finally coming down after all of these years. Well, it’s not coming down entirely, but they are going to chop part of it off and make it a bit lower so that the skyline view will be somewhat improved.
Friend of the Level Brad Maule wrote a great post about the sign for us way back in 2007. It’s worth a quick click back to get some of the history of the sign. Remember this nugget?
The 2005 Opening Day ticket painted — or should I say photoshopped — the Phillies’ embarrassment of The Sign. The ticket design featured a photo of the skyline, for which some poor intern was probably assigned to remove The Sign from the view. Except, well, they didn’t finish the job. As you can see below, the photoshop job was left only half done, and 45,000 tickets were printed with half of The Sign.
And the Inquirer’s Matt Gelb has the lowdown on the coming changes:
The tower will remain in a different form, a team spokesperson said. It will be lowered in height — from 157 feet tall to 115 feet — and become a two-sided message board. Construction began this week.
So the sign will be lowered. But it’s not entirely gone. Which is a bummer.
|2sentz on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Jason R. on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return