May 29, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
Kyle Kendrick’s last two starts have made for a career first, something the 28-year-old hadn’t done as middling No. 4 or ambiguous starter-reliever tweener or anything until now.
He walked four batters in back to back starts.
That’s the good news in his 0-2 mark and 7.36 ERA over the span. Had Kendrick been beat with the command that’s made for his new normal, you’d have to start to seriously question its sustainability. His run of 2.62 ERA ball had spanned 17 starts back to last August, for about half a year.
That’s impressive, but hardly conclusive.
Still, his emergence has been bigger than cultivating an out pitch, his changeup, or how that addition has made for a legit big league repertoire, stuff that can often have a shorter shelf life than even a dozen and a half starts. It’s also been about developing physically, particularly in his core, something that’s also added bite to his breaking stuff, making for a much more sustainable model.
Kendrick should improve. Question is, can he do it against the Red Sox tonight at Citizens Bank Park?
Command problems don’t make for an easy fix against the Red Sox, who lead baseball in walks this month. Simply, Boston makes you throw strikes, and Kendrick’s failed to do that of late. Where he’d walked only 10 and struck out 21 in 22 2/3 innings before May 18 vs. Cincy, Kendrick’s issued freebies to eight in 11 frames with only three Ks since.
Kendrick’s also 0-2 with a 12.90 ERA in two career starts against Boston, both at Citizens Bank Park, neither longer than five innings. Though KK hasn’t seen the Sox since 2010 in any capacity.
|mattybo24 on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|thekrisheim on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|Marvin Monroe on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|The Green Hornet on Ryan Howard suddenly off to on…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money