Jul 2, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT
Phillies beat writer Matt Gelb penned another article this morning about Ruben Amaro Jr. looking at the looming trade deadline and weighing his options. It’s the same players we’ve seen tossed about before: Lee, Papelbon, Utley, Rollins, etc.
There is an interesting quote from Ruben about not having to take money back for certain guys like Lee or Papelbon, but maybe having to do so in a shorter term rental such as a deal for Utley.
And in the middle of the article is this nugget which was probably readily available had any of us done some counting and math, but Gelb does the calculator work for us:
Amaro does not need to trade anyone. He said there is no mandate from ownership to shed payroll, even as the team has experienced an average decrease of 5,871 fans per game this season at Citizens Bank Park. When the Phillies’ TV contract expires at the end of 2015, they’ll be signing a new one that could bring $4 billion to $5 billion. They’ll need to maintain a shred of competitiveness to ensure its value.
5,871 fans per game seems like an awful lot doesn’t it?
As the article says, it’s not like the team is strapped for cash. More so it shows that interest and desire to shell out hard-earned cash to go watch this team is down significantly. Can’t blame ‘em.
>>Amaro weighs trade options with mediocre Phillies [Philly.com]
|Momby on 3 Stars: Ref disallows late go…|
|Jay D on 3 Stars: Ref disallows late go…|
|willh888 on 3 Stars: Ref disallows late go…|
|galasso2586 on Safety First: Eagles agree to…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return