Jul 2, 2013, 11:48 AM EST
Phillies beat writer Matt Gelb penned another article this morning about Ruben Amaro Jr. looking at the looming trade deadline and weighing his options. It’s the same players we’ve seen tossed about before: Lee, Papelbon, Utley, Rollins, etc.
There is an interesting quote from Ruben about not having to take money back for certain guys like Lee or Papelbon, but maybe having to do so in a shorter term rental such as a deal for Utley.
And in the middle of the article is this nugget which was probably readily available had any of us done some counting and math, but Gelb does the calculator work for us:
Amaro does not need to trade anyone. He said there is no mandate from ownership to shed payroll, even as the team has experienced an average decrease of 5,871 fans per game this season at Citizens Bank Park. When the Phillies’ TV contract expires at the end of 2015, they’ll be signing a new one that could bring $4 billion to $5 billion. They’ll need to maintain a shred of competitiveness to ensure its value.
5,871 fans per game seems like an awful lot doesn’t it?
As the article says, it’s not like the team is strapped for cash. More so it shows that interest and desire to shell out hard-earned cash to go watch this team is down significantly. Can’t blame ‘em.
>>Amaro weighs trade options with mediocre Phillies [Philly.com]
|yishmeister on Photos and Time Lapse: This is…|
|Jason R. on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|ochospantalones on What do the Sixers want with R…|
|Bill L on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages