Jun 24, 2013, 1:58 PM EST
Charlie Manuel admitted after Sunday’s 8-0 loss to the Mets that even he’s now “wondering” whether or not his team can turn things around and make the playoffs.
Well, if history is to be believed, there isn’t much to wonder about — other than who Ruben Amaro might be able to unload at the deadline.
CSNPhilly.com’s Corey Seidman dug up these tidbits that show that the Phillies, on June 24, are already, pretty much, basically, for the most part, almost totally…
The Phillies have been outscored by 58 runs this season. Only the Marlins and Astros — who opened the season with a combined payroll of close to $100 million less than the Phils –- have worse run differentials.
Run differential tends to be a better indicator of a team’s talent than even its record. And over the last 108 seasons, only two teams that were outscored as badly as the Phillies to this point in the season won 83 or more games — the 1996 Red Sox and 1988 Padres. Only seven in the history of baseball finished with a winning record. Not a single one made the playoffs.
The Phillies are 7 1/2 games out of the division and 8 1/2 games out of the Wild Card with 86 games remaining.
The trade deadline is July 31.
We’re in watch, wait and hope mode, but here are few other depressing facts and figures if you feel like wallowing a little more.
>> To make playoffs, Phillies would need to make history [CSN]
>> Get ready for some depressing Phillies stats … [Beerleaguer]
|Chip Smelly on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|BenE. on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Cuban on We’re comparing Michael…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages