Nov 8, 2013, 11:16 AM EST
Andrew Bynum will probably get booed this evening in South Philadelphia as he returns (?) to the Wells Fargo Center as a member of the Cleveland Cavaliers. And that’s fine. He’s a member of the opposing team. He kind of screwed the Sixers last season when he never played a minute for them — although you could argue that things actually worked out okay for Sixers in the longterm — and those reasons alone probably warrant some boos. But do Sixers fans really care about Andrew Bynum any longer? I don’t. Not really anyway.
The dude’s knees are shot. And listening to him talk yesterday at practice (which you can watch above) he sounds like a guy who probably won’t ever be the basketball player he once was. He was quite blunt in saying he’s a shell of his former self and that he’s thought about retiring due it all.
You probably don’t want that on the Sixers.
Some quotes from CSN:
“It is still career threatening. I am a shell of myself on the court right now. I am struggling mentally, but I am trying.”
“In the moment it is tough to enjoy the game because of where I am but I am struggling to work through that,” Bynum said. “I feel like I can still be effective in this league but I am going to have to make changes to my game and it is about accepting those challenges.”
Asked what his goal is, Bynum said, “Just to be able to play without pain and discover the joy again. … Right now it’s just battling pain is annoying. I’m not able to do the things I used to be able to do and it’s frustrating.”
Which makes Bynum kind of similar to the Philadelphia fans that may boo him tonight. They just want to find joy in watching their basketball team again. That may be more likely without him around.
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return