May 13, 2013, 7:15 AM EST
When Shane Victorino used to make things interesting in center field at Citizens Bank Park — and he did that with some frequency — it seemed to happen more on plays in front of him rather than behind him. He hasn’t been playing at Fenway Park nearly as long as he did in Philadelphia, and he clearly doesn’t have a great feel for right field there just yet as demonstrated by the brutal collision he made with the outfield wall yesterday on an Emilio Bonifacio home run.
Either the warning track completed failed to serve its purpose or Victorino miscalculated just how close and unforgiving that wall actually is. Boston Manager John Farrell initially kept Victorino in the game following the collision but thought better of it and eventually pulled him. From NESN:
“With the way Shane hit the wall, he started to stiffen up as the game went on and given what he’s been dealing with lower back-wise, we weren’t going to take any chances further today,” Farrell said after the game.
Shane was not available to reporters following the game because he was taken to the hospital to have his ribs and back examined. And in case you were wondering how he’s doing, Shane’s wife wanted to report on Twitter (below) that he’s doing okay and that no fence can keep the Flyin’ Hawaiian down.
The Phillies and Red Sox will play a unique four-game split-city series at the end of May.
twitter is 1st 2 report @shanevictorino status b4 i know his status. Well let me b the 1st to report he’s fine! A fence isn’t stoppin 18
— Melissa Victorino (@MsFlyinHawaiian) May 13, 2013
|Davey u on Are the 2013 Philadelphia Eagl…|
|Marvin Monroe on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|t800m101 on 29th in the NHL in scoring, ha…|
|t800m101 on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages