Watch Ruben Amaro Jr. Cry After Firing Charlie Manuel

Aug 16, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT

Well that was incredibly tough to watch. Charlie Manuel had his final press conference today in Philadelphia and made it clear that he did not resign, he did not quit on his team. Charlie Manuel was fired by the Phillies.

Much more on the sad and moving press conference later but for now you can watch Ruben Amaro Jr. break down and cry before passing it over to Chuck.

1. willh888 - Aug 16, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I think he cried because he knows he’s about to get socked in the ear

2. Nick - Aug 16, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Hanging Manuel out to dry because of poor management decisions from Ruben Amaro and an organization that absolutely refused to go over the Luxury Tax is ridiculous. This was painful to watch because Charlie deserved better then this mess.

• Paul - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Nick
      I could not agree with you more. This is an absolute disgrace and the Phillies management should be ashamed of themselves.

Give up the season and allow that man to finish off his time there.

What did they truly hope to accomplish with letting him go now?

I am sorry but the shake up needs to start with Ruben. He has not done one thing right since being in that position and his crying episode was weak.

Born and raised in the Philadelphia area and not a fan (Pirates) but that team was so fun to watch and now it has turned into typical Philly management garbage!

Ruben, I think Eric Lindros is ready to play. Give him an extended contract and he’s ready to throw in the bull pen!

• Tim Kenepp - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Amaro is the reason they are losing not Charlie’s. Howard’s resigning for way more than he will ever be worth, Victorino gone, Hunter Pence gone, Raul Abanez gone. All are doing very well elsewhere. Real surprised he didn’t let Utley walk. I feel bad for Charlie. Sad day for REAL Phillies fans!!

3. Hiccup - Aug 16, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I can’t believe that Charlie was canned before Rubes was let go; Rubes needs to go, I’m boycotting all Philadelphia sports events until Rubes is run outta town! Join the boycott with me, unite against the Rubes! Don’t watch the game tonight.

• Drew - Aug 16, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Ummm… no.

• Bhamss - Aug 16, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Umm yea. Nail meet head

• Lava - Aug 16, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I don’t think you quite get the phrase “Hit the nail on the head.”

4. lyle - Aug 16, 2013 at 3:33 PM

hey 700level…why is NY state sponsoring videos you post? some loyal people you guys are

5. SJDinAudubon - Aug 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Dave Montgomery is a Coward, and Rube is a Liar. IF RAJ is here next year, I am done with the Phillies until those A_Hole Bucks sell the team. Poor Ryne Sandberg…

6. Dave - Aug 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Always a Phillie. Love that dude, and Ruben is dysfunctional.

7. Jim Clarke - Aug 16, 2013 at 4:47 PM

This is a dark day. Amaro, you’re just as shitty a GM as you were a player.This mess is a direct result of your poor decision making. Burn in fucking hell asshole.

8. Von9 - Aug 16, 2013 at 5:08 PM

No one’s gonna cry when the ax falls on you, Ruben.

9. JEANNIE RYAN - Aug 16, 2013 at 5:46 PM

CHARLIE MANUAL IS AN AMAZING MANAGER,MAYBE IF RUEBEN AMARO DIDN’T TRY TO GUT THE TEAM WHEN HE TOOK OVER AS GM THE PHILS WOULD BE DOING BETTER,SHAME ON YOU AMARO,SHAME ON YOU,CHARLIE DESERVES BETTER THAN YOU MAKING HIM YOUR ESCAPE GOAT FOR YOUR FAILURES!!! I SAY CHARLIE STAYS AND AMARO GOES!!!

10. chris - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Charlie, you are a class act…you deserved better. Thanks for all you did for the Phillies.

11. Bill - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:07 AM

OMG FAKE FAKE FAKE! Ruin Tomorrow Jr sheds crocodile tears!

12. Randall - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Sometimes, extreme guilt will make a person choke up like that. Reuben used Charlie as his scapegoat to hang onto his job for another year. Throw the manager on the chopping block to save your own neck. Well done, Reuben. He can twist his reasoning any way he wants, but firing Charlie says “It’s Charlie’s managing, and not my decision making, that has us in the position we are in.” And that is just not true.

13. Dzr3s - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:59 AM

Ol’ Chollie is not the problem! It’s lack of influence/involvement by Pat Gillick who put together the 08 team, championship caliber winners, like he did in other cities before that. Put Pat back in charge, it takes his skill set to find great players. The ones we have now are no longer in their prime and the younger ones are too green. Ultimately the players are the underperformers.

14. ssommer46 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Charlie is a class act and will be tough to follow in his footsteps. Thank you for all your work and giving the city of Philadelphia a team to root for.

15. DelawareSmith - Aug 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

C’mon, Rube! You know the rule…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHtgTSJHLv0

16. sleezy baby - Aug 21, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Can you all put your snowballs down for just a second and take a moment to realize you probably dont know the half of what went on behind those doors. I take RAJ tears as legit signs of grief not fake tears, not tears of shame, but of grief that he had to fire a good friend.
    We all know that its the manager that goes first in baseball. Rarely does the GM leave before the manager.

17. Betty. Duffy - Sep 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I HAVE BEEN. A TRUE TO HEART PHILLIE,AND I MUST SAY RUEBEN AMARO YOU. REALLY. KNOW HOW TO REALLY PLAY “”HEARTACHES AND FALSE TEARS””””LET ME SAY I’M FROM CONNIE MACK DAYS. THAT SHOULD TELL YOU THE YEARS. THAT I HAVE BEEN AROUND MANY. YEARS. ONE OF MY FAVORITE PLAYERS I COOKIE ROJAS. HEWAS EXCEPTIONAL. LIKE. TODAYS. PLAYER. SUCH AS PITCHER CARLOS RUIZ. I BELIRVE THAT HE IS TRULY AN ASSETT TO THE PHILLIES CLUB. YOU SHOULD BE FIRED IF YOU
    GET RID OF. CARLOS. AS I SAID I WENT TO GAMES EVERY WEEK AND NOW I AM ON OXYGEN 24HRS. ADAY. I ONLY WISH YOU HAD A HEART. AND LET ME CONCLUDE IN SAYING IF YOU CAN FIRE CHARLIE WHO WAS DEVOTED TO OUR TEAM. THEN READ THE SCORE BOARD ABOUT KYLE KENDRICK (. LOOSER )SORRY I CALL ITAS I WATCH EVERY GAME HE LOOSES FOR OUR “””BELOVED PHILLIES). SORRY KYLE. I LOVE MY BASEBALL AND THE PHILLIES WILL ALWAYS BE NUMBER. 1

18. uggs norge salg - Nov 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Green power is significantly more essential than ever before as oil rates increase in conjunction with carbon amounts in the environment. Renewable, cleanse power is less complicated than ever before to come by with solar, hydroelectric, and one of the most questionable, wind power. For anybody who is certainly dividing hairs, wind power is in fact a type of solar power because the temperature fluctuations in the environment generate wind currents.
    uggs norge salg http://www.sprakreisebyraet.no/uggboots-no.html