May 31, 2013, 12:56 PM EST
The final numbers are nearly in for Domonic Brown’s month of May, and boy are they sure pretty. He’s gone 31-105 with ten homers and 21 RBI for the month, finishing with a final slash line of .295/.295/.638. If you ignore that the first two numbers in that slash line are the same, meaning that he still hasn’t taken a walk for the whole month (one game away from becoming the first player to ever do so while hitting nine or more home runs in the same month), he’s had an absolutely star-making month, one that has vaunted him back into the hearts of the Philly Phaithful and might even get him mentioned for All-Star consideration if he keeps it up.
So, with all that in mind, I think it’s high time our new best hitter–and Dom certainly is that at this point, currently leading the team in runs, homers, RBIs, slugging and OPS–received a consensus nickname, don’t you? I’ll go over the likeliest candidates, give my opinion, and then you’ll let us know in the comments or wherever which you think we should go with. All goes well, we should have a new sobriquet to yell and/or tweet in celebration at the first of Dom’s several longballs tonight against the Brewers at CBP.
- DomBro. Not the most creative choice, obviously–just doing the whole name-shortening thing that too often passes for legitimate nicknaming in sports today. But hey, it works, it kinda looks and sounds cool, and it’s like calling Dom our Bro, which he undoubtedly is and will be for some time to come.
- The Domonator. I like this because not only does it get at the heart of Dom’s prowess over the rest of the MLB this month, but it also gets that second “o” in there, obviously the most singular detail of Brown’s first name, and something like an athlete trademark.
- UPS. This one dates back a few years, to the old “What can Brown do for you?” UPS ad campaign that was unavoidable around the time of Dom’s major league debut three (geez, is this really his fourth year already??) years ago. Clever, but unlikely to age well, and those commercials never really didn’t suck in the first place.
- Skinny Howard. Suggested by commenter “Nickname Time” (obviously) in a Dom article of mine from a couple days ago. I kinda like it since Dom’s raw power is clearly suggestive of a young Ryno, though in a sleeker model than Ryan’s more classic slugger heftiness. That said, weight and skin color aside, the physical pcomparisons do kinda end there. and regular Howard isn’t really even regular Howard anymore, so dunno.
- Brownout. Like the electrical outage, because Dom’s power surge is so disruptive. Plus, “Brown + out” is a pretty good call for a Domonic Brown homer.
Anyway, that’s what I got. Personally, I think I prefer “The Domonator,,” but let us know your choice, or if you have way better ideas of your own.
|SteveBrown on Photo Gallery and Tweets: Linc…|
|Joseph on LeSean McCoy pulls Eagles slei…|
|jpeezo on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|Matt S. on Eagles officially the hottest…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages