Jun 24, 2013, 9:13 PM EST
I suppose after the weekend the Phillies had dropping a series to the Mets at Citizens Bank Park that was capped by a demoralizing loss yesterday, you wouldn’t lose your fan card for calling it a night and hitting the sack early instead of watching the Phillies take on the Padres in a 10:10 pm start. You might even be smart for getting some extra sleep.
Then again, Cliff Lee is pitching this evening. It’s always worth tuning in to watch the Phife dog do his thing.
Lee (9-2, 2.53) will take on San Diego lefty Eric Stults (6-5, 3.25). While the Phillies have struggled to get and stay at .500 (36-40), the Padres are right at the even mark (38-38). The Pads have fared well when Stults takes the hill at home this season. He’s 3-1 with a 2.90 ERA (13 ER, 40.1 IP) at Petco this season and the Padres are 5-1 in his six home starts, winning each of his last five.
The Cliff Lee game notes are pretty enjoyable to read:
- Streak Stopper: Is 7-1, 2.30 ERA (19 ER, 74.1 IP) in 10 starts following a Phillies loss this season; Phils are 8-2 in those 10 starts
- Has pitched at least 7.0 innings in each of his last 9 starts
- Has the 3rd-lowest road ERA among all ML starters this season
- Is 5-0, 1.57 ERA (8 ER, 46.0 IP) over his last 6 road starts
As for the bats, not as promising: Ryan Howard is not in the lineup due to a cranky knee.
Howard’s knee is sore, according to Manuel. That is why he is out.
— Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) June 24, 2013
— Phillies (@Phillies) June 25, 2013
Pen Issues: Mike Stutes was placed on the DL yesterday and RHP Phillippe Aumont was called up. Mike Adams is also seeing doctors and there are fears a labrum issue could require surgery. No official word on that yet.
|Chris on Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Dom Br…|
|trishb on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|charlie d on Jonathan Papelbon’s ugly…|
|sfsu on Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Dom Br…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages