May 24, 2013, 12:25 PM EST
I never fully understood the small contingent of Phillies fans who enjoyed heckling Jayson Werth once he made the no-brainer decision to depart Philadelphia for the insane money in Washington, DC. There is loyalty, sure. But then there’s also logic.
Those fans will be disappointed this weekend when they find themselves sitting in right field and Jayson Werth and his hair don’t come trotting out to start the game. Werth is currently on the disabled list battling a hamstring injury and could be out another couple weeks.
The Washington Post has more on the injury and highlights all of the time the high-priced outfielder is missing:
Werth, who turned 34 today, is in the third season of a seven-year, $126 million contract. Last year, he missed 75 games after he broke his left wrist attempting to make a sliding catch and played in 81 games all season. Werth could miss roughly 30 games before he makes his return from his current hamstring injury.
So Phillies fans will have to find a new heckling target other than the guy who helped win the only World Series for Philadelphia during most of your lifetimes. I’m thinking another Nats outfielder who has a penchant for eyeblack and running into walls may work just fine.
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return