Aug 25, 2013, 3:34 AM EDT
Appropriately enough, the ghost of Wilson Valdez was named Casper.
Casper Wells pitched 2/3 of the 18th inning in what was the longest game — by time — in Phillies history, a 12-7, 18-inning loss to the Diamondbacks.
Your relevant numbers from CBS Sports:
The teams combined to use 20 pitchers in a contest that ended at 2:12 a.m. and took 7 hours, 6 minutes — setting a mark for length of game for both teams. It was the longest game by time since the Dodgers and Astros played eight minutes longer on June 3, 1989.
The 18 innings also matched the longest game in Diamondbacks history in terms of innings, though the Phillies fell short of the 21-inning club record set in 1918. The teams combined for 137 at-bats, 35 hits, 32 strikeouts and 28 walks. Both teams used 22 of their available 25 players, with only three starting pitchers for each going unused.
Not mentioned above is the 712 combined pitches thrown, nor the 52 pitches D’Backs leadoff man Tony Campana saw by himself, en route to a 1-for-5 outing with five walks.
Further worth mention is the fact that starting pitched Ethan Martin went 2/3 of an inning Saturday night before an outfielder, Wells, went 2/3 of an inning Sunday morning — in the same game.
Ryne Sandberg’s first words after the game announced that Roy Halladay will start Sunday’s series finale after the Phillies burned Sunday’s original starter, Tyler Cloyd, when he tossed five shutout innings in extras. Halladay, who was scheduled to start for Double A Reading, will now appear in his first major-league game since May 5. Sandberg admitted after the game that he really didn’t know who was available in the pen tomorrow, except that they’ll probably be adding a long man before the game.
The Phillies have exactly 11 hours and 23 minutes between the end of Saturday’s game and Doc’s first pitch.
|galasso2586 on What happens on April 4th,…|
|eaglegreen on Mosher: DeSean Jackson’s…|
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return