May 16, 2012, 6:17 PM EST
It’s a little amazing that even after dropping Game One — a game that by all accounts, the Sixers could and (more arguably) should have won — we were still able to leave Boston with a series split. The Sixers now have the chance to take control of the series with their two games at the WFC — where they remain, incredibly, one of only three remaining teams (and the only one in the East) in the playoffs to be undefeated at home. It should be a difficult task, but not an impossible one, as the Sixers won their two games against Boston in Philly with minimal resistance, though both were against a tired, reeling Boston team were likely a lot less fired up than they should be tonight and on Friday.
What’s it gonna take? Well, your guess is good as mine, really, since nothing about the first two games of this series have made all that much sense to me, but let’s key on two positive trends from Games One and Two that we’d like to see continue in the City of Brotherly Love. First, that Paul Pierce remains thoroughly in check — a combination of injuries and beastly Andre Iguodala defense have held The Truth to a combined 21 points on 25% shooting thusfar, a key weapon neutralized for the Celtics. Second, that Lavoy Allen continues to get in and get his, averaging 11 points and seven rebounds a game off the bench in this series and being the Sixers’ most consistent post scrapper. (Lavoy has a 20.6 PER for the playoffs entire, by the way, by far the team’s highest efficiency rating.)
As far as the smaller number of minutes Elton Brand and Thad Young have seen over the past couple games of the series, Doug Collins stressed he’s going to put the guys who give his team the best chance to win on that given night on the floor. Elton and Thad have been banged up while Lavoy and co. have really stepped up.
“EB is a great teammate and so is Thad,” Coach Collins said before tonight’s game. “EB’s has had a little bit of problems with that shoulder. Thad had a little bit of a sore ankle. I think anybody who would ever think I’m not going to play the guys that give us the best guys on a particular night doesn’t know me very well. Or if anybody would have thought I don’t play younger players… the end of game the other day we had Lavoy Allen on the floor guarding Kevin Garnett.”
Time for Lavoy to man up once again, this time in front of his faithful Philly fans.
7:00 tip from Philly. It might’ve taken a round to do it, but hopefully the city is convinced that the team is really worth supporting this time, and will come out in droves for our first home game of the second round. Strength in numbers, we can get it right, one time. Go Sixers.
One other quote worth noting from the pre game. Coach Collins was asked a question about his commentator days:
Question: when you were a tv analyst, you said you coached both teams? Collins: “I was undefeated too, baby. I won an Emmy for that $&@#”
— John Gonzalez (@gonzoCSN) May 16, 2012
|2sentz on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|MJS on Who are these Flyers? Tonight…|
|romanKanai on Michael Young Is Posting Some…|
|Jason R. on We’re comparing Michael…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages