Feb 15, 2005, 1:00 AM EST
Hall of Fame ballots were delivered last week and among the usual
difficult decisions, there is the Albert Belle riddle. Where does one
of the most feared hitters of the ’90s fit? He had more home runs
(389), RBIs (1,239) and a higher OPS (933) than Kirby Puckett, who was
a no-brainer first-ballot. But does Albert belong in? Do the math — a
score of 100 is necessary to get to Cooperstown.
It was February of 2003 and I was in Vegas for the first time ever. I stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino due to it’s close proximity to the Thomas & Mack Center where I was seeing a few concerts coupled with the fine scenery at the Hard Rock.
It was early on Friday probably around 2 pm and I wandered into the casino to throw some money around. I kind of hate blackjack so I sat at a Caribbean stud table with a 5$ minimum. The casino was pretty empty but there was a rather large black guy sitting at the table I sat down at.
As soon as I sat down I thought the guy playing next to me looked really familiar but I couldn’t put a name to the face. He was all buddy-buddy with the pit boss and dealer like he was in there 5 days a week. The pit boss walked over at one point and said, "Hey Al, anyone else reach the 50-50 club yet?" Even then it took me a minute to figure out that Al = Albert. At that point I said something to the effect of "I didn’t think anyone ever reached the 50-50 club?" Then Albert kind of fires back all defensive that he did it in HRs and doubles. I didn’t even know they counted that as some sort of milestone?
He wasn’t all that friendly, but I did chat him up a little bit. Apparently he lived in Scottsdale or some random city out there. Once I realized who he was I was kind of shocked he was playing at the 5$ table AND betting the minimum every single hand. Hopefully he will make the Hall of Fame for the sole reason I would be able to say I played poker with a Hall of Famer. The only other famous poker run in I’ve ever had was the cook from Under Siege 2 at the Mirage.
Sorry, I didn’t say it was very exciting.
|brandonphilly on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|ifihad10weekstolives… on Sometimes you get kicked in th…|
|Andrew Kulp on 29th in the NHL in scoring, ha…|
|BenE. on Why the Flyers won the Talbot-…|
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages