Jan 27, 2011, 6:36 PM EST
Surprising news coming out of Tennessee tonight, where it appears head coach Jeff Fisher will be leaving the Titans after 16 seasons. The timing of his departure is a bit unusual, given all of the previously vacant head coaching jobs have been filled, and most coaching staffs have been finalized. As the Eagles have found during their defensive coordinator search, the availability of replacements might be minimal.
Fisher had been facing some of the same tough questions Andy Reid has here, as neither man has brought the Lombardi Trophy to their respective cities during their head coaching careers. After another mediocre season, and a spat with their starting quarterback, many wondered if Fisher would be fired, but SI's report suggests the split may be mutual. In case you need the obvious stated, this means Reid is also the most tenured head coach without a ring.
Before you jump to the oh-so-delicious conclusion that Fisher, a defensive coach, could become the Birds' defensive coordinator, the prospect is unlikely. Fisher will be a prime head coaching candidate as soon as he's ready to return to the sidelines, which means at most he would be here for one season. It would be unusual to hire a rental at such an important position, but hey, the Eagles still need a defensive backs coach!
That may be the least of the Eagles' worries though. As Philly.com's Sheil Kapadia points out, the Titans may be interested in some of the same assistants coaching in the upcoming Super Bowl the Eagles could pursue, and a head coaching position would most likely get more bites. That said, don't be surprised if the Titans hire from within, as they have some solid assistants on their own staff.
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return