Jan 27, 2011, 6:36 PM EST
Surprising news coming out of Tennessee tonight, where it appears head coach Jeff Fisher will be leaving the Titans after 16 seasons. The timing of his departure is a bit unusual, given all of the previously vacant head coaching jobs have been filled, and most coaching staffs have been finalized. As the Eagles have found during their defensive coordinator search, the availability of replacements might be minimal.
Fisher had been facing some of the same tough questions Andy Reid has here, as neither man has brought the Lombardi Trophy to their respective cities during their head coaching careers. After another mediocre season, and a spat with their starting quarterback, many wondered if Fisher would be fired, but SI's report suggests the split may be mutual. In case you need the obvious stated, this means Reid is also the most tenured head coach without a ring.
Before you jump to the oh-so-delicious conclusion that Fisher, a defensive coach, could become the Birds' defensive coordinator, the prospect is unlikely. Fisher will be a prime head coaching candidate as soon as he's ready to return to the sidelines, which means at most he would be here for one season. It would be unusual to hire a rental at such an important position, but hey, the Eagles still need a defensive backs coach!
That may be the least of the Eagles' worries though. As Philly.com's Sheil Kapadia points out, the Titans may be interested in some of the same assistants coaching in the upcoming Super Bowl the Eagles could pursue, and a head coaching position would most likely get more bites. That said, don't be surprised if the Titans hire from within, as they have some solid assistants on their own staff.
|Chip Smelly on Watch Roy Halladay’s ret…|
|Chamomiles Davis on Eagles officially the hottest…|
|willh888 on Photos and Time Lapse: This is…|
|galasso2586 on Photos and Time Lapse: This is…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages