Jan 20, 2006, 5:28 PM EST
Yesterday’s Philadelphia marathon was exhausting. I had to walk block after block to get into prime position to catch a glimpse of the runners. There was a great local story to come out of the marathon. An Ardmore man came out of nowhere in only his second ever marathon to finish in second place:
It didn’t much matter. The surprise of yesterday’s marathon was not that Kimutai, winner of the 2004 Brescia Marathon in Italy, came out ahead, it was that the unheralded McKeeman from Ardmore, running in only his second marathon, came out of nowhere to claim second, 41 seconds behind Kimutai, in 2:17:50.
"I don’t blame people for not focusing on me," said McKeeman, referring to the prerace hype over Kimutai and a handful of other elites, mostly Kenyans. "I don’t have that great a credentials that anybody would know who I was."
McKeeman, who said he makes a living running and working for running-oriented Web sites (including training with America’s top female distance runner, Deena Kastor), shaved 21/2 minutes off his personal record from his only other marathon, in London in April.
Impressive indeed. One of the funnier sights from yesterday’s race was a sign which read, "Hurry Up Dad, I want a Cheesesteak!"
>>Race turns into a stun run [Inquirer]
|Chutley on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Mostel on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Dom on Why the upcoming free agency b…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return