Jan 22, 2008, 10:10 AM EDT
There. A one-sentence, less colorful summary of Bill Conlin’s article in today’s Daily News.
I’m starting to agree with him, too. Maybe I’d think different if the Phillies opened the bank during the offseason for free-agents and felt like there wasn’t enough "financial flexibility" to sign The Big Man long term right now — but they haven’t. And if you paid Freddy Garcia $10M for 1,040 pitches last year (none of which broke 87-mph on the radar gun, btw) you mightaswell open up the wallet and throw Howard the extra $3M that will make him happy.
It only makes sense. And you can’t compare this to any other arbitration case for a 3rd year player, either. Unless, of course, you can name me another who already has a ROY and MVP trophy to his name.
My favorite part of the article, Conlin being Conlin:
After perhaps the greatest first full power season of any player in
history, Ryan Howard last winter butted heads with the service-time
ogre guarding a shallow moat around the pastime’s only citadel of
control over its finances.
That service-time ogre sounds like an asshole.
>> Get the pitch up [Conlin]
|Tom on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|thekrisheim on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
|philsoc8 on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|psudrozz on Photo: Claude Giroux can do an…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return