Jan 22, 2008, 10:10 AM EST
There. A one-sentence, less colorful summary of Bill Conlin’s article in today’s Daily News.
I’m starting to agree with him, too. Maybe I’d think different if the Phillies opened the bank during the offseason for free-agents and felt like there wasn’t enough "financial flexibility" to sign The Big Man long term right now — but they haven’t. And if you paid Freddy Garcia $10M for 1,040 pitches last year (none of which broke 87-mph on the radar gun, btw) you mightaswell open up the wallet and throw Howard the extra $3M that will make him happy.
It only makes sense. And you can’t compare this to any other arbitration case for a 3rd year player, either. Unless, of course, you can name me another who already has a ROY and MVP trophy to his name.
My favorite part of the article, Conlin being Conlin:
After perhaps the greatest first full power season of any player in
history, Ryan Howard last winter butted heads with the service-time
ogre guarding a shallow moat around the pastime’s only citadel of
control over its finances.
That service-time ogre sounds like an asshole.
>> Get the pitch up [Conlin]
|J.D. on The Evster’s Guide to Ha…|
|t800m101 on Video: Claude Giroux’s g…|
|Chris c on Everybody is piling on Tony Ro…|
|BenE. on Video: What does the Phanatic…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages