Feb 16, 2008, 1:50 AM EDT
"I thank them so much. I’ve been blessed to play this game for a long period of time. Like I’ve always said, I feel like I’ve connected with the fans pretty well and we come out to party together. I’ve enjoyed every game partying with them."
-Brian Dawkins on the ovation he received at the Linc last night
The fans at the Linc last night showed their admiration for one of the greatest to ever put on an Eagles uniform. Brian Dawkins played in his 181st game as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles surpassing the great Harold Carmichael as the team’s all time leader in games played.
The jumbotrons at the Linc flashed a message after the offense failed to score early in the game noting Brian Dawkins achievement. Dawkins was on the sidelines talking to a coach but by the time he made it out to the field the raucus crowd let him hear it. Ashley Fox writes:
Dawkins was on the sideline talking with an assistant coach at the
time, but when he jogged onto the field, the packed house at Lincoln
Financial Field gave him a lengthy, warm ovation. His teammates
gathered around and patted Dawkins on the back. Like the fans, the
Philadelphia sports figures don’t last forever, and Dawkins is the
longest-tenured active athlete in this city, which presumably lost
another lifer last week when the Phillies signed Raul Ibanez to play
Pat Burrell’s position in the outfield. Last night might have been one
of Dawkins’ final big moments here. A career achievement. A big win, to
stay in the playoff hunt. A long, loud ovation.
Brian Dawkins is now the longest tenured athlete in this sports crazed city. His passion for the game and the intensity level he always plays at will place him in the pantheon of all time Philadelphia greats.
It was nice to see him get a hard earned ovation last night. And a win. You know he’d rather have the win.
>>Dawkins sets Eagles record [Inquirer]
You can watch much of the press conference at the Eagles website
including the portion where Dawkins talks about the crowd towards the
end of this video.
|Rob on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|al on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Eng E on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|JJ on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money