Mar 29, 2008, 10:02 PM EDT
A beautiful goal by Danny Briere ensured the Flyers wouldn’t be the victims of a second consecutive shootout loss Saturday night, winning 4-3 on Long Island. For the second straight night, the Flyers found themselves down in the third period, but Mike Richards rammed home the equalizer to send it to overtime. A last minute penalty had them down a man for the first 2 minutes of OT, and when another penalty immediately followed, it looked like the Flyers might be in line for another sympathy point. But tenacious play stifled the Isles’ power play, and once again the Flyers headed to the dreaded shootout.
Tonight’s round was just the opposite of last night’s, in which only one save was made in six attempts; Antero Niittymaki was perfect on the three attempts he faced, and Wade Dubielewicz stopped the first two Flyers shots, but couldn’t answer Briere’s multi-deke backhander. Briere scored in regulation as well, and his hot streak continues. Joffrey Lupul added the Flyers other goal, lighting the lamp for the first time since returning to injury.
Dubielewicz and Niitty both played great games in net, with a total of 83 shots between the teams. The Flyers’ 54 marked a season high, and tonight’s game was the sixth time in the past 10 games the Flyers have gone to overtime or beyond. Video highlights after the jump.
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
|Scott B on What happens on April 4th,…|
|db21 on Safety First: Eagles agree to…|
|BS Bully on Ryan Howard Needs Surgery for…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return