Oct 27, 2011, 3:53 PM EDT
By now you’ve probably heard the news that former-Sixers great Julius Erving is planning to move some of his most prized basketball treasures in an open auction this Friday.
You may have also heard that the Doc has incurred some serious difficulties as of late, reportedly owing a Georgia Bank more than $200,000 in loans. The issue presumably stems from the recent foreclosure of his Atlanta-area golf club.
Thankfully, for those of you worried, Julius Erving is now denying reports that Julius Erving is having any kind of financial trouble.
“My family is 100 percent behind it,” he said. “We decided to do it a long time ago. To claim it’s a firesale or to clear up some debt, I don’t think so. You don’t do an auction overnight. This has been long planned. We had 4,000 catalogs that have been mailed already to people who buy this kind of stuff.”
The Doc is right, auctions like this don’t just pop up overnight; and neither, might we add, does a (reported in April) $5 million shortfall on a $11 million loan.
Obviously, we wish Erving all the best, and sincerely hope that Friday’s auction really is for a good cause and an attempt to further share his career with his fans. The Doc will always be revered and respected in his adoptive hometown of Philadelphia. Still, with some of his history, and with only an undisclosed portion of the proceeds going to charity, it’s hard not—be it fairly or unfairly—to make certain assumptions.
Head on over to CSN to check out Dan Gelston’s full break down of the auction. The bidding begins tomorrow—Friday, October 28—on http://www.scpauctions.com and will conclude on November 19.
|willh888 on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|Jim on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|red2gold on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return