Jan 24, 2007, 3:11 PM EST
And to finish off our day of Flyers related goodness, we bring you our card of the week feature with a look back at Eric Lindros with blonde highlights. The write up is by our sometimes guest poster and always guest of the world, Matt P.
Perhaps no player ever came to Philadelphia with higher expectations than Eric Lindros. The Flyers mortgaged the farm for him, and it seemed like a great deal at the time. During the early part of his career in Philadelphia, Lindros won a league MVP and terrorized opposing teams with a great scoring touch and huge hits. However, he was also the recipient of his fair share of hits, and injury after injury plagued his career. However, things went south after a few seasons, with a horrible feud between the player and GM/Philly Sports God Bobby Clarke. Lindros will unfortunately be remembered in this town as a baby with an eggshell for a skull, and also a captain who couldn’t lead our team to a Stanley Cup win, despite the fact that the guys we traded for him (like, say, Peter Forsberg) won two in Colorado during his career. Oddly enough, when initially drafted by them, Lindros refused to play for the Quebec/Colorado franchise (on the advice of his mother).
The most insane moment in his time with the Flyers has to be when the team nearly killed him. Check out this passage from his wikipedia entry:
During an April 1, 1999 game against the Nashville Predators, Lindros suffered what was diagnosed as a rib injury. Later that night, the teammate he was sharing a hotel room with, Keith Jones, discovered Lindros lying in a tub, pale and cold. In a call to the Flyers, the trainer was told to put Lindros on a plane that was returning to Philadelphia with injured team mate Mark Recchi. But Jones insisted that Lindros be taken to a nearby hospital and it was discovered Lindros had a collapsed lung caused by internal bleeding of his chest wall. It was estimated he’d bled out more than half his body’s total blood volume. Lindros’s father wrote the Flyers a letter in which he stated that if the trainer had followed team orders, Eric would be dead (a statement supported by the doctors who treated him in Nashville).
Hopefully this trend doesn’t continue in Philadelphia, with rumors (possibly completely false) that Donovan isn’t happy with Eagles team trainer Rick Burkholder; also, we all know #5′s parents are a little too involved for someone who plays a big-boy sport. Because of the misfortune experienced in Lindros’s career, and his family’s mishandling of pretty much everything, we will forget that the coming of Big E marked the renaissance of the Philadelphia Flyers, when the club went from a string of miserable seasons to being a perennial Cup contender, a team that would sell out virtually every home game in a beautiful new arena for a decade and never miss the playoffs. Until this season…
Eric Lindros’ rocking golden tipped locks in his 1991 Score rookie card after the jump.
|brandonphilly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|Danimal on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages