Jul 8, 2008, 9:25 PM EST
Marc Stein, who previously broke the story that the Sixers were gearing up to sign either Elton Brand or Josh Smith by clearing salary cap room, is now quoting sources stating that Brand has told the team he will accept a five-year deal worth an estimated $82 million and come to Philly.
Earlier, we received a message that Elton Brand had a VIP table at the posh Table 31 tonight, but we didn’t get word on whether there was a champagne toast. Apparently there was cause for celebration, and if these reports are true, we’ll probably be seeing much more of Brand downtown. No free agency deals can officially be made until after midnight, but it sounds like Brand will be a Sixer come tomorrow morning.
Stein also says the Sixers may have netted a second-round pick in the deal they had agreed upon with Minnesota, which sent Rodney Carney, Calvin Booth, and a first-rounder to the Timberwolves in exchange for the extra cap space it would require to net a big talent like Brand.
On Comcast SportsNite, Phil Jasner of the Daily News reported that Brand likely took a lesser offer from the Sixers than what he might have netted from Golden State, and also that the Clippers went out and signed Baron Davis to a big deal thinking that Brand would be returning. By all accounts, the Sixers’ nabbing a post player of Brand’s caliber, who wasn’t expected to come East, is a coup.
As long as he is/stays healthy…
|Jeff on Peter King: Eagles ‘the disapp…|
|Chris on Eagles officially the hottest…|
|Pipes on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Nick on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages