Jun 17, 2008, 10:45 AM EST
Loyal reader Loqiel was down at the ball park last night and sent in this Fan Report. If you’re going to a game and would like to share your photos and game experience, hit us up.
Having taken a partial day off, I met up with a friend from work and
headed out to the ballpark As soon as we hit the parking lot, our worst
fears were confirmed: there were Red Sox fans EVERYWHERE. They didn’t
outnumber us, but they were certainly there in force. We got in early
to catch some BP, and were greeted with a light sprinkle from the
heavens as we made our way to Bull’s BBQ. Shawn ordered some ribs
while I had a pulled pork sandwich (it was above average but not
wonderful). Eventually we made our way to our seats in the fine 400
level while watching the Sox take BP.
The fireworks started early last night. No, I’m not talking about on the
field. I’m talking about RSN trying to start up a "Let’s Go Red Sox"
chant… and promptly being shouted down. Much to my enjoyment, before
the game would be the only time they tried to start it up, as Rollins
and Howard connected for three quick runs off of former Cy Young
award-winner Bartolo Colon’s bloated carcass (note to Colon: you’re not
David Wells. Mix in a salad, wouldja?)
That’s how it went most of the night really. The Phils jumped out
to a 4-0 lead, with Hamels dealing. Colon couldn’t throw strikes to
save his enormous self. The Sox got two back, RSN started to stir a
little and was promptly silenced by a four-run sixth in which we saw
Mike Timlin spontaneously combust on the mound (much to our great
That’s the way it ended: Phils 8, Sox 2.
Final line on
Colon’s corpse: 4 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO, 3HR allowed, 70 pitches.
I guess when you’re dead and faking it 100 pitches is no longer an
For his part, Hamels went over a hundred pitches for seven plus
innings, had a hit and a fine sacrifice to set up a pair of runs,
limited his mistakes to two solo home runs, and did everything short of
don a yellow shirt and sell concessions. Can we sign this guy to a
serious contract? Please? I don’t ask for much, but I would really
Some random thoughts:
-I saw a ton of Sox fans leave early, starting in the eighth. Typical.
-The Sox fans sitting next to me in the 400 level left even earlier, after the four-run sixth. So much for being die-hard.
-The rain held off, ironically for my second straight game of somehow
coming up with tickets to covered seats and then not being rained on.
This means the next time it thinks about raining and I go to a game
with open seats, I’m going to need an ark to get home.
-More and more people think this is a possible World Series preview.
I’m just fine with that if it means we can shut RSN up for a year.
-Also, one game does not a series make, but I’d be just fine with
winning this series. As Casey Stengal once said, "they don’t pay me to
win every game, just two of three".
-Who is that dude in the pink gorilla suit that dances around the
stadium during games? Is he the Phillies equivalent to Fat Dancing Guy
for the Flyers?
-There is no greater joy than watching a big, slow hitter leg out a
triple. It’s like watching Manny make his way around left field; you
know he’ll get there sometime, but whether he beats the ball to the
spot is another matter. Ryan and Pat, I’m talking to you.
-We booed the crap out of J.D. Drew when he was announced, when he
came up to bat, every time he changed pose in the dugout, you name it.
This city has such a long memory; it’s too bad we don’t have more
positive things to remember.
-We booed Manny too. This I didn’t understand. Yes I know he’s the
enemy and all, but isn’t booing Manny like booing your
All in all a good night out, and I finally got to see a win this year.
|Chris on Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Dom Br…|
|trishb on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|charlie d on Jonathan Papelbon’s ugly…|
|sfsu on Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Dom Br…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages