Feb 10, 2011, 10:44 PM EST
After skating through a scoreless first and second period for the first time all season, the Flyers outlasted the Carolina Hurricanes for a 2-1 victory. Jeff Carter opened the scoring with a power play goal 18 seconds into the third period, and Danny Briere would also put one home on the man advantage. Tuomo Ruutu made it interesting in getting the Hurricanes to within one, but Brian Boucher was a beast in net after the nightly shutout ghost was given up, and the Flyers hung on to win it despite a third period barrage from the Canes.
A few of Boosh’s saves were worthy of some love from Sign Man, but Briere’s goal earns the esteemed honor of our Play of the Game. A detailed analysis by Mr. Bill Clement below:
You said it, Billy. Amazing hands by Danny to respond to the deflection/redirection and still find a way to get it past Cam Ward, and just some great work by Claude Giroux and the power play unit to cycle the puck enough to get Briere wide open in exactly the place everyone knows he’ll end up. Already down a man, it’s almost unfair that you’d have to face both Briere and Giroux on one line.
Both Flyers goals came on the power play, and their penalty kill held the Hurricanes without a goal on five-ish opportunities. Carter’s goal was, in his own words, kind of lucky, but ya know, good things happen when you get the puck on net (and other hockey clichés). Besides, it was a pretty nice pass from Mike Richards that set it up. Carter has nine points (6 G, 3 A) in his last six games, and 15 points (10 G, 5 A) in his last 12 games.
The Flyers beat the Hurricanes for the 15th time in their last 18 meetings, with no regulation losses over that span. Take that, team that fired Lavvy.
|BenE. on Take a hike, Tom Brady: Eagles…|
|t800m101 on Video: Sean Couturier is too m…|
|Marvin Monroe on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|sfsu on Take a hike, Tom Brady: Eagles…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages