Jan 27, 2011, 2:41 PM EST
Matt Walker, acquired from Tampa in the Simon Gagne trade, has been waived by the Flyers. Bob McKenzie from TSN first reported the news via Twitter.
Walker's Flyers career lasted all of 45+ minutes over four games. He did not record a single point, and was a -1. In his defense it was always going to be tough to crack the starting lineup in light of the three defensive pairings the Flyers throw out there each night.
He also battled injuries, missing significant time after undergoing surgery for a damaged hip. If nothing else I suppose the move is a vote of confidence for Oskars Bartulis, who is a less expensive option in the event the Flyers go down a defenseman.
While the Gagne deal was universally panned, the reality was that it was a salary dump. Getting out from under Gagne's contract gave the Flyers the cap flexibility to bring in Andrej Meszaros, who was also acquired from Tampa. Matt Walker did little to help the Flyers on the ice, but looking back the trade certainly benefitted the Flyers. Will another move be made with the cap money recovered by waiving Walker? The Flyers don't really have any areas of need, but that hasn't stopped the trade talk around a team that is regularly active at the deadline. Both Tim Panaccio and Sam Carchidi have dropped the name of Erik Cole in the past two days.
|2sentz on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|sfsu on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|sfsu on Phillies sign pitcher formerly…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages