Apr 10, 2006, 12:04 PM EDT
Former Penn basketball coach Fran Dunphy will be taking over what John Chaney left behind as Temple’s head basketball coach. It is an interesting twist to the landscape of the Big Five. Dunphy turned Penn into an Ivy League powerhouse and seems like a great choice to work the bench in North Philly.
Penn and Temple, while only being a few miles apart, seem to have completly different types of basketball teams. Chaney was known for bringing inner city kids with often rocky backgrounds and acting as a father figure to many of them. Dunphy was known for bringing in Ivy League caliber students and getting them to play basketball. Both were great at what they did and now Dunphy will take on some new role at Temple.
I look forward to what Dunphy can do with Temple. Can he turn TU into a basketball powerhouse? It should be an interesting few years to watch how the new look TU basketball team will develop.
I spent many summers growing up attending summer basketball camps at ‘Nova, Penn, and SJU. Dunphy, with Martelli coming a close second, was by far the greatest with the kids. While I find it easy to root against Villanova, I can get behind Dunphy wherever he goes.
-Dunphy to Coach Temple [PhillyBurbs]
|Hockey on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|brandonphilly on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|CD on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|NBA lottery is rigge… on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money