Jan 9, 2006, 10:27 AM EST
One of my favorite website’s Wired.com posted an interesting piece about futures markets for Superbowl tickets which focuses on the experience of two Eagles fans:
The market opened at midnight, and the brothers jumped right in. After
a few minutes, with the option price at $150, Paul spent $1,200 for the
right to buy eight standard tickets to the 2006 Super Bowl (if the
Eagles make it). Meanwhile, Brad, who was only just getting warm after
his walk, didn’t fare so well. The site couldn’t handle the heavy
traffic and stalled as he tried to join the frenzied buyers -
prospective Eagles seats sold out in minutes. Brad had little choice
but to try an end around. He bought options for all the teams that he
thought Philadelphia might play in the next Super Bowl.
It’s definitely an interesting idea, especially for those who have both an interest in sports and financial markets. With my post yesterday featuring a sports betting site allowing you to bet on what team Terrell Owens will play for next season, your local bookie’s business isn’t what it used to be.
Of similar interest is the new type of fantasy football which Troy Aikman has been pushing lately over at ProTrade.com which allows you to put together a portfolio of players each with their own market value or stock price. Some interesting stuff going on over there, I’m curious if such a "game" will catch on.
What ever happened to a fun night of beers and drafting a team of players in real life on your neighbor’s back porch? I remember my first fantasy league when I was in 7th grade we had a real draft board which was actually a piece of poster board we wrote down our picks on with a magic marker. Those were the days before millions of different fantasy guides and websites about which players ranked in which order.
|solidsender on We’re comparing Michael…|
|Chip Smelly on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|BenE. on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages