Sep 16, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
A night after Greg Golson poked his head up in a big spot for the Yankees, another old friend of the Fightins made his high-profile debut in Baltimore. Kyle Drabek, the young righty sent to Toronto as the centerpiece of the Roy Halladay deal, took the mound for the first time for the Blue Jays–coincidentally, the same night that Halladay got his 19th win for the Phils. Drabek performed admirably for a first-timer, going six innings and giving up three runs on nine hits (5K, 3BB) in a 3-1 Baltimore victory.
“He did a good job. He kept us in the ball game,” said Toronto manager Cito Gaston. “We just didn’t score runs for him.” (Well, one run–more on that later.)
The eyes of Phils fans will no doubt dart to Drabek lines in box scores for years to come, as we wonder what would have been. Not that Doc has given us any reason for second-guessing–his 19 wins are the highest for a Philly starter in almost 30 years, and his 210 Ks are still a league best–but we had been teased with Drabek's potential for a good few years before he was dealt, and though we certainly don't wish him ill in his major league career, we probably don't want to have given up a future ace, either. A nice, long career of unspectacular quality starts like this will do just nicely, thanks.
In other news from the same game, the Blue Jays scored their one run in the ballgame on outfielder Jose Bautista's 47th home run of the year–bringing him just three away from being the first major leaguer in three years to break the half-century mark. If you called Jose being the one to break the league-wide dry spell before the season, congrats on cashing on your 125,000-1 bet, and can we borrow $60 to get a copy of NHL 11?
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return